Thursday, February 14, 2008

It's time for some first wave punk


I am not exactly in the mood for reviewing. If you haven't listened to Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers, do so. Now. Without delay. Very raw, direct and energetic 77 punk out of Belfast, NI. Political topics too. Probably my favourite band.

Tracks of notice - all of them, really, but especially Alternative Ulster, Barb Wire Love, Wasted Life, Suspect Device.


And then there are The Moondogs - more powerpop than punk, really (as if I care). Also from Northern Ireland, but they could hardly be more different from Stiff Little Fingers than they already are, and kinda stay in the same genre.

Lovely, sweet, humorous, ironic. Very catchy too. Never fail to cheer me up, really. They resemble Undertones, but I like The Moondogs way better. They are completely underappreciated - although you can find their songs on most of the punk/powerpop compilations from those times, hardly anyone ever remembers them.

Unfortunately, their songs are very difficult to track down, so I've zipped all the songs I have together, regardless of albums (7" more likely). There's circa 25 songs.

My favourite songs: Roddy's Gang, She's Nighteen, Ya Don't Do Ya, Who's Gonna Tell Mary, Schoolgirl Crush.

Download 'em, you won't be sorry. Really.

9 comments:

Nazz Nomad said...

SLF- What a perfect album

Anonymous said...

never heard of moondogs, but slf is such a perfect album, dynamite melodies, hooks, and kick ass on-fire punk with great political jabs.. one of the classics.. thanks so much for putting it up.. zenman

Anonymous said...

I was searching for g-w-f lyrics, and found this blog.

You are immediately and permanently my favourite person.

Gobo said...

Good Blog!!
I´m waiting for more celtic punk, i will return!! :P

See you! visit my blog!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have been after these since hearing an old Peel Session on 6 music.

Jesse said...

Hey, this is a sweet site, I couldn't find any email or contact information so I'm posting here.

Do you want to mutual link to my indie/folk/punk blog?

Visit us at songsfromtheroad.blogspot.com
and contact us at songsfromtheroad@gmail.com

Thanks and keep posting good stuff, friends!

irishdave said...

Thanks for the MOONDAGS and all the memories the music has broght streaming back!

Anonymous said...

www.myspace.com/gnarlywhales

- original florida folk punk

- home made instruments

- radical

- johnny walker

- cOw punk!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE SIFF LITTLE FINGERS AND THE MOODOGS! <3

I want to download The Moodogs but the links seems to be damaged :S:S:S
do you have other links??

bye!