Monday, November 26, 2007

Mutiny





Mutiny are a folk punk/Celtic punk (sometimes also referred to as pirate punk) band from Australia, formed in 1991. I've uploaded my favourite album and my favourite EP, but if someone wants more just leave a comment.

In their songs they cover a number of topics: drinking, rebellion, social justice, rebellion, poverty... rebellion... They are anti-authority, they're fast, and they rock. I think I like them so much because they've made a perfect balance between punk and folk music - their sound is dirty and harsh, but also melodious and catchy (and you can't miss the Irish influence in many of the songs). Have great bass lines too. Oh, and their tagline is 'folk punk for punk folk', which is one of my favourite taglines ever.

Here's the lyrics to a song, just so you can get the feel of it:

HERE'S TO ADVENTURE

I'm tired of this city
It's time to move on
I've done it before
I'll do it again
The life of a rover
Is all that I know
So here's to adventure
And a roving I go
Adventure the reason
The reason adventure
And what other reason is there?
I read this book
'Revolution For The Hell Of It'
Well just the title
But I like the sound of it
Just for the hell of it

Here's to adventure
The spirit is free
Here's to adventure
Just for the hell of it
Here's to adventure
And liberty
A roving a roving
A roving goes me

He said "Move on"
Don't want your type
Round here
I said "What's your problem?
I'm enjoying my beer
So I'm weird
If that's what you think
Covered his face with my drink
I went to the loo
After I had been hit
My nose was bleeding
I needed a piss
The first one engaged
I went to the next one
After I spewed
I pulled out my texta
Wrote 'Here's to adventure
Don't let em get ya"

You can fine more lyrics at their official site, together with some mandolin tabs.

Band members (according to wiki)
  • Chris Patches (1991-present: vocals)
  • Greg Stainsby (1991-present: guitar mandolin)
  • Alice Green (1991-present: bass)
  • Calum Holland (2002-present: guitar)
  • Marko Jennings (2006-present: guitar, bazouki)
  • Kav Kavanagh (2002-present: drums)

Past members:

  • Briony Grigg (1991-1997: vocals, 12 string guitar)
  • L'hibou Hornung (1992-1994: violin)
  • Michelle Lewit (1996-1997: violin)
  • Dan Green (2002-2004: piano accordion)

5 comments:

jeffen said...

Nice start.

I'll give Mutiny a try.

You might post some Greenland Whale Fishers who are good once you get past the Pogues tribute band feel.

http://musicruinedmylife.blogspot.com/

Dirty Old Celtic Punk said...

Oh, I like Greenland Whalefishers, esp. Down&Out :D Arvid does pull a pretty good Shane act, but what the hell :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't know em before but they are awesome! Do you have more of them?

Dirty Old Celtic Punk said...

Yeah. I'll upload some more on Thursday if you like :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, please do so!!! Would be great!